Table of Contents
I) Mail Time w/Flipper
For example, I love the fact that the Flip-Kick is also a phone stand, which is great when you are on the road and are watching videos in your hotel room! I also like that the Flip-Kick is merely attached with a magnet, so you can easily remove it. And for the Polyplab Coral View Lens, I love the clippy aspect of it, as you can easily pull it off and clip it to your hat or shirt in between shots.
As for the Deep See Viewer, there is just no negative. It is a fun tool to help see your livestock up close, and the fact that it is also a magnetic algae scraper is also a huge bonus!
And lastly, the Platinum Scraper is not only the sturdiest scraper I’ve ever owned, but I love the fact that you can use old library cards, credit cards, or any other standard wallet sized card as a replacement blade!
III) Word of the Week
A peristaltic pump is any sort of pump that uses peristaltic movement to transfer liquid from one location to another. The easiest way to explain what peristaltic movement is, is to think of the intestines, colon, and esophagus. All three of these organs use peristaltic movement to move liquid and solids through the body.
The following definition is summarized from the online Encyclopedia Britannica: Peristalsis is the movement of long and circular muscles which occurs in wave-like contractions.
In dosing pumps, peristaltic movement is achieved by the use of rollers. These rollers pinch flexible tubing, thus forcing liquid through that tubing.
IV) Tank Time
This week on Tank Time, we talk about all of the equipment we use on the SCA 120 Gallon system. I’m just going to put a list with links below to make it easy!
- SCA 120 Gallon PNP System w/tank, stand, sump, canopy, plumbing, skimmer, & return pump
- Reef Breeder Photon V2+ LED lights
- Tunze Aquawind Fan
- 2x 250W Eheim Jager Heaters
- 2x Reef Breeder RP-M 2,500 GPH Wavemaker
- Maxspect Gyre Wavemaker
- Acrylic Habitats Leviathon 40 Acrylic Sump
- SCA Protein Skimmer
- Jebao 2650 GPH DCQ-10,000 Return Pump
- Tunze Osmolator ATO
- Refugium LED Light
- Media Reactor
- Holmes Blizzard Fan
- Bayite Temperature Controller
V) Joke of the Week
VI) Tank of the Week
Here are some of the specs of his tank.
- 600 gallon acrylic tank.
- 218 gallon acrylic sump with approx. 75 gallons being used at a water height of 9.5″
- Custom spray bar down center of tank to keep detritus from gathering.
- 3x Ecotech Vectra L1s power a closed loop and return.
- Custom build aluminum light rack with 4x Kessil AP-700, 4x Reefbrite Supra T5 4′ fixtures, anbd 2x 8′ Reefbrite XHO LEDs.