Most saltwater hobbyists rely on RO/DI water for their tanks, either purchasing it from their local fish store (LFS) or producing it themselves. Tap water is never recommended due to the presence of chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, and other dissolved solids. While distilled water is an alternative, it can be costly, especially for larger tanks.
RO/DI filters can be a bit complex and expensive, but they prove to be cost-effective and time-saving in the long run. All RO/DI filters consist of the following elements:
1. Sediment Filter
2. Carbon Filter
3. RO Membrane
4. DI Resin
However, the size and price of the filters can vary. Here’s why:
1. RO Membranes: Adding a second RO membrane allows you to double your clean water output.
2. DI Resin: Adding a second DI resin canister enhances water purification, particularly in areas with high chlorine and chloramines.
3. TDS Meters: Advanced models come with inline TDS meters to indicate when it’s time to change a filter.
4. Booster Pump: If you have low water pressure, a booster pump can be added to increase the efficiency of your RO/DI filter.
In my own experience, one of the best investments I made in this hobby was a 7-stage RO/DI filter equipped with two RO membranes and two DI resin canisters. It has served me well over the years and continues to do so!
- The AQUATICLIFE Twist-in 4-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration Deionization System is capable of producing 75 gallons of deionized water per day, providing you with a steady supply of clean and clear water for your residential use.
- This system effectively reduces up to 98% of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) in the water, ensuring that you have water with minimal impurities and contaminants.
- The sediment filter in this system captures and reduces unwanted particulate material such as sand, silt, and rust, improving the taste and appearance of your water.
- Some users have reported that the connectors in this system may leak if not securely fastened and positioned, requiring adjustments and potential maintenance.
- The adapters included in this system may not fit all types of faucets, causing inconvenience for some users who may need additional adapters or modifications.
- There have been cases where the product arrived broken, specifically with the water waste valve part snapping off, leading to potential difficulties in installation and use.
- The LiquaGen 5 Stage Reverse Osmosis & Deionization (RODI) system is an excellent water filter for aquariums, providing ultra-pure water that is ideal for fish, coral, and other aquatic life.
- The system is pre-assembled and requires minimal space, making it convenient for aquarium owners. It also comes with leak-free fittings and long-lasting filters, ensuring durability and reducing the chances of damage.
- The water purification system membrane and deionizer media used in this product are of top quality, ensuring optimal performance and the production of 0 TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) water.
- The system may not be suitable for larger aquariums or emergencies as it produces 75 gallons of water per day. This might result in slower water production and the need for additional storage tanks for larger water requirements.
- Some customers have reported issues with the threaded adapter not fitting standard sink fittings, requiring additional trips to the hardware store for proper connection.
- The DI resin cartridge in the system may wear out faster than expected, requiring more frequent replacements. This could result in additional expenses for users.
- Complete with a Chlorine Guzzler Carbon Block Filter
- Includes an AquaFX High Flow and High Rejection TFC Membrane
- Pressure Gauge is essential for determining efficiency
- Initial run to fill took a long time
- Depleted the DI resin quickly
- Inlet leaks water
- Provides Reverse Osmosis Filtered Water – The AquaticLife 4-stage reverse osmosis deionization filtration system effectively reduces salt, calcium, and other metallic ions from water, providing clean and clear water for residential use.
- Reduces TDS to Zero – The RO Membrane Filter 100 GPD removes up to 98% of the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) in water, ensuring that your water is free from contaminants. The remaining TDS is removed by the Resin.
- Effective Sediment Removal – The 5-micron Sediment filter captures and reduces particulate material such as sand, silt, and rust from water, improving the taste and appearance of your water.
- Spent DI Resin – Some users have reported that the deionization resin cartridge seems to be spent quickly, even before running 10 gallons of water.
- Durability Issues – A few users have experienced issues with the product’s longevity, with it stopping to produce water after a few months of use. Contacting the seller for support has also been challenging for some.
- Limited Information on Filter Replacement – Users have expressed difficulty in determining which filter needs replacement, as the product does not provide clear instructions on this matter.
- The AquaticLife 5-Stage hydroponic reverse osmosis (RO) unit provides a reliable source of up to 200 GPD of filtered water that tastes fresh and is clean from contaminants.
- This RO water filtration system effectively reduces harmful substances from water such as chlorine, heavy metals, and total dissolved solids.
- The unit comes with a range of accessories including a canister wrench, membrane wrench, RO membrane cartridges, pre-filter sediment cartridge, and coconut shell activated carbon block filter cartridges.
- Some users have reported leakage issues, but this can be easily resolved by properly installing the product with plumbers tape.
- The unit requires daily flushing to maintain high performance.
- The GPD may vary depending on the quality and temperature of the water source.